A Proclamation for Transforming the Lives of Children
Download printer-friendly (PDF) versions of this and other aTLC core documents.
Envision a world where:
- every child is wanted, welcomed, loved, and valued;
- every family is prepared for and supported in practicing the art and science of nurturing children;
- adults respect children and honor childhood:
- children joyfully participate in the vital life of family and community; and
- dynamic, resilient life-honoring cultures flourish.
We will create this world by:
- recognizing that in nature's design there are biological imperatives that must be fulfilled to support optimal human development;
- identifying the evidence-linked principles that arise from these imperatives; and
- acting on these principles that are essential for transforming the lives of children.
Education Is Key
Action Is Essential
Never before has one generation of American children been less healthy, less cared for, or less prepared for life than their parents were at the same age.
National Association of State Boards of Education, 1990
Never before has there been such a wealth of information on keeping children healthy, caring for them, and preparing them for life.
The Alliance for Transforming the Lives of Children, 2001
Families today face unprecedented challengesisolation, loss of the extended family, conflicting advice about how to parent, and the stress of modern-day life. Even with these challenges, some children are thriving due to the love and commitment of their families and communities. What can we learn from them?
It is the birthright of every human being to be conceived, carried, birthed, and nurtured in the best possible way. By recognizing and responding to nature's imperatives, individually and collectively, we foster optimal human development and a brighter future for our world.
A growing body of evidence now documents that the quality of a person's earliest experiences of life has a major impact on that person's entire life. It is therefore essential that we, as a society, give high priority to nurturing our children in accordance with nature's design.
The Alliance for Transforming the Lives of Children is dedicated to ensuring that parents are supported in practicing the art and science of nurturing children and experiencing the joy of being parents.
Each of us is parent to every child.
How we treat the child, is how the child will treat the world.
Our children are the future of our world.
ATLC is committed to:
- identifying the biological imperatives for optimal human development;
- defining the principles and specific actions that arise from these biological imperatives;
- making this information readily accessible and understandable to all parents and caregivers;
- supporting families in implementing the actions essential for transforming the lives of children and adults; and
- fostering dynamic, resilient, and life-honoring cultures.
ATLC invites you to get involved
Children Are in Crisis
Links to aTLC core documents and extracts
Blueprint of Principles and Actions (complete)
(You may want to start with the following abridged versions for a quick overview)
Download printer-friendly (PDF) versions of aTLC's core documents.